If you have pets and will need to evacuate to a shelter during an emergency, please plan ahead as spaces at designated pet-friendly emergency shelters are very limited.
Please check the Stay Safe page for the current status of shelters and for possible additional shelters that may be designated as Pet Friendly.
Other shelter options
- Contact friends and family members to assist in sheltering your pet in the event of a disaster. Make plans ahead of time.
- Make a list of boarding facilities, veterinarians and other pet friendly lodging that is on your evacuation route.
What to Bring during an Evacuation
- Proof of current rabies vaccination and registration tag
- Sturdy carrier
- Supplies (food, medications, toys, comfort items etc.) to sustain your pet for the duration of the emergency
- Download the Protect Pets in Disaster guide
For details on how farmers and ranchers can prepare for a hurricane, see the UF/IFAS Extension website.