Petition to Vacate
You may petition the Board of County Commissioners to vacate the County’s (public’s) interest in certain property rights.
There are three types of Petitions to Vacate:
- Vacation of Right of Way
- Vacation of Easement
- Vacation of Platted Subdivision or Portion Thereof
- The total fee to process a vacating petition is $419
- Initial filing fee of $169;
- Remaining balance of $250 due prior to scheduling of public hearing
- All fees are nonrefundable and shall be tendered by check or credit card.
- Checks are made payable to the Board of County Commissioners(BOCC)
- Credit Card payments are taken by completing a Authorization for Payment by Credit Card form
1. All petitioners are strongly encouraged to complete a pre-submittal application and schedule a pre-submittal meeting or conference call with the County’s vacating coordinator. Download the petition to vacate application packet, including the pre-submittal application here. To schedule an appointment, contact the Hillsborough County Real Estate and Facilities Services Department at 813-272-5810.
2. During the pre-submittal process, staff will assess the viability of the request before the petitioner expends the funds that are required to file a vacating application.
3. If advised, complete the application. See the petition to vacate application packet for general requirements, and requirements for each type of request.
4. Except for hardship situations, applicants are requested to file the vacating application in person by appointment with our vacating coordinator.